Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shake Weights Product Review


The new product of spring that has hit television advertisements is the new woman’s Shake Weight. With summer approaching, most women want to get in shape and not have winters flab holding them back from looking good in their summer clothing (or lack there of).

The Shake Weight’s target audience is women. I have heard many women complain and talk about how they either don’t like their arms or don’t want their arms to get like that in the future. Shake Weight's are made just for these ladies. This product is sold as one item. It looks like a dumbbell and it is intended to improve just one spot on a woman’s entire body. The spot that it is targeted to improve and tone up is the muscle that is called the triceps located on the back of each arm.

With all the advertisements of skinny ladies holding these Shake Weight's a consumer is lead to believe that if they buy this product they will also become skinny and beautiful like the professionals that are getting paid to hold the product. The advertisement also tells the audience that you can get great arms (like the models) by using this product in just six minutes.

A persuasive strategy that the commercial uses is “why on earth would you not get one?” They use this strategy to get the consumer to believe that it is such a great deal and it works wonders. This quote also makes the audience think that everyone else is using this product, so the viewer will be the only one with flabby and far from sexy arms.

I did not have the same reaction as the actors did in the advertisement. Yes I was able to feel a burn while doing it for six straight minutes, but I also have the same reaction while shaking a regular dumbbell for six straight minutes.

The Shake Weight advertisement shows the weight while it is in use. When watching the television advertisement, most audiences would assume that it shakes itself or is battery operated and all you have to do is grab on and let it do the work. This assumption is false. When I saw this product in the store; I spent an enormous amount of time looking for the switch to turn it on. Confused, I then asked an employee at the store to help me find it. I was told by the store employee that this product was not battery operated and the user was to shake it by themselves.

For $19.99 a person can buy this single Shake Weight. For the same price, a person can get two dumbbells, any weight they want and be able to do many different exercises for muscles all over the body, including the triceps. A consumer would be able to shake one regular dumbbell the same way they would use the Shake Weight. Another option and better investment is for ten dollars more a month, a person can get a gym membership. If you are a college student, the fitness center/ weight room and gym is commonly free of charge. In the weight room, a person can use whatever weights they want, and have fitness or weight trainers in the facility with them.

As a woman consumer, this advertisement caught my attention. I even looked at the product when it was on the shelves. When I learned that there was nothing special about this product other than twice the price and half the value, I was uninterested. I feel if you want to waste your money on a product that you will use less than half a year and soon to be lost and forgotten in your basement, go ahead, throw away your money!

I am in no way saying that the Shake Weight does not work. I have not used it daily like the advertisement recommends. I am however saying that there are other more convenient, cheap, and versatile products that can do the same thing and more than this product can. I feel that the people who are actually concerned about their arms will also be concerned about the fitness and look of other places on their bodies. If a person did not have the motivation to work out consistently before this product, they will not have the motivation to use this product daily, no matter how flabby their arms are!



To see the Advertisement and website:





No comments:

Post a Comment